Sunday, April 5, 2015

Grapefruit Custard Pie


Yesterday, I made the Grapefruit Custard Pie from The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book, by Emily Elsen and Melissa Elsen, to share with my family at Easter brunch.  This is the third recipe that I have made from this cookbook.  The first two were the Salted Caramel Apple Pie and Maple Buttermilk Custard Pie that I made as mini-pies for Thanksgiving 2014.  

So far, this cookbook has produced perfect fillings.  The custards are smooth and the fruit fillings aren't too juicy.  If you are looking for a pie cookbook that strays from the standards, but yields consistently amazing and wonderful pies, buy this book.



The flavor of this pie is refreshing and light.  I hate grapefruit, but I loved it.  My husband, who hates sweet pies, ate a whole slice without complaint.  The recipe can probably be switched around with other citrus juices and/or different alcohols.  So, expect to see an amaretto sour pie in the next few weeks... 

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment