Monday, December 28, 2015

Chocolate Truffle Tart

This is another recipe from Gourmet Holiday Baking magazine.  I really wanted to make this pie, but I knew that there was no way that I would be able to eat the whole thing in a timely fashion.  So, I made it for my neighbor.


Instead of a spring form pan, I used a free-bottom tart pan.  And instead of a crust made of chocolate wafer cookies, I made it with speculoos. 

Speculoos Crust:
7 oz of speculoos (This is one box from Trader Joe's.)
8 tablespoons of melted butter.

In a food processor, grind the cookies down to dust, then drizzle in the melted butter.  
Press with hands into the tart pan.  
Refrigerate for 30 minutes before filling.

The filling is made by melting 1/2 pound of 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate with 6 tablespoons of butter.  Whisk 2 eggs, 1/3 cup of heavy cream, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt, and a teaspoon of vanilla.  Then whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until well combined.

Then bake the tart at 350oF for 20-25 minutes.  Then let it cool and sprinkle with unsweetened cocoa powder.


Since I gave this pie as a gift, I have no idea how it tastes.  However, the text I received from my neighbor said "the pie is Michelin 3 stars worthy!  Perfect!  Don't change a thing! Thank you!" followed by three tongue-hanging-out emojis.

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment