Sunday, October 18, 2015

RLHS 2015 Pie Baking Champion

Two weeks ago, the staff of the school where I teach had a chili cook-off/pie bake-off/costume contest.  I decided to go with the Taffy Apple Pie.


This time, I precooked the apple filling to avoid having a crust dome.  In a saucepan, I combined the apple slices (this time using 3 Granny Smith and 3 Gala), 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and two tablespoons of Pie Filling Enhancer.  I cooked it over medium heat until the apples softened.  Then I stirred in the peanuts and put it onto a sheet of foil on a sheet pan to cool.

If you do this, let it cool ALL THE WAY.  I did not and the filling started heating the crust before I could even get it in the refrigerator to set up.  Needless to say, my crust did not hold its shape.  However, I did not have a crust dome.  So, the plan worked...  kind of.

Anyway, my Purple Pieman from Porcupine Peak costume came in second.  But, my Taffy Apple Pie took first place by one vote.


So, I got this sweet apron.

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment