Monday, December 28, 2015

Mini Cranberry Eggnog Tarts

My husband had a potluck at work.  Since I often send him with slices of pie for his co-workers, I figured they would be expecting him to bring pie.  Also, our other go-to potluck dish, Buffalo Chicken Dip, was already taken.  So instead of making two pies, I made a dozen mini tarts using 4 inch tart pans.  Since the platter could only hold eight, I got to eat the other four myself.


In order to have enough dough for twelve crusts, I doubled the recipe, so here is the recipe I used.

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp of salt
14 tbsp of softened butter
2 large eggs

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor.  Separate into 12 small balls.  Roll out the balls and press into tart pans.  Prick and blind bake using pie weights at 350oF for 15 minutes, then remove the pie weights and continue to blind bake for another 15 minutes.

Then, instead of making my own cranberry jam, I heated a can of jellied cranberries with a 1/4 cup of orange juice.  Once the jellied cranberry chunks dissolved and started to thicken again, I added a few drops of red food coloring to fix the color.  I then spooned two tablespoons of the cranberry filling into each tart shell.

On top of that I poured a serving spoon of the eggnog filling over the cranberry filling that had cooled for 5 minutes.  Then I baked them at 300oF for 20-25 minutes.

The mini tarts are just as delightful as the full sized one.  They are not heavy or overly rich, they are the perfect combination of delicate flavor and wonderful textures.  I would definitely make these again.

Piece out!
Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment