Friday, August 11, 2017

Lake County Fair Results 2017

This year I entered 5 pies and one cookie.  My Chocolate Chip cookies that took First Place last year (I figured I should at least try to defend their title) came in Third Place.  I had also entered the Oatmeal Cookie Division, but they spread out larger than 3" and would have been disqualified.  The only other Oatmeal cookies there looked like my dogs' vomit and the only Snickerdoodles there were so bad they weren't even given a ribbon, but I hadn't even thought of entering that category after the Great Snickerdoodle Conspiracy of 2016.  Anyway, you're here about pie.





For the Blueberry Class, I entered my Blueberry Lemon Mascarpone Pie.  I was so certain that this pie would take Grand Champion for the Pie Division, after the success of last year's Blue Hawaii Pie. It took Third Place.  The comment from the judges was that it would have placed higher in the Cheesecake Class.  So, apparently, this blueberry pie is better than cheesecake.  I guess I'll take that as a compliment.





For the Other Pie Class, I entered the Lime Chili Meringue Pie.  This pie took Second Place.  The comments from the judges were "Beautiful Meringue" and "nice strong lime flavor."





For the Apple Class, I entered a Cheddar Crusted Apple Pie.  This pie also took Second Place.  The judges comments were "nice decoration" and "crust on the tough side."  I did use my own recipe for the filling; but if you would like the recipe for the crust, I used this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nancy-fuller/apple-pie-with-cheddar-cheese-crust-2406188 





For the Cherry Class, I entered a Golden Cherry Pie, using my Sweet Cherry Pie recipe with Rainier cherries.  This pie won First Place.  The judges liked my crust and the lattice, and they appreciate my use of Rainier cherries as something different.





For the Custard Class, I entered my Butterscotch Custard Pie.  This pie won First Place and also Grand Champion for the Pie Division.  This was a complete shock.  Out of all of my pies, this one is the one I would have given Third Place.  But I guess it really does come down to the opinion of the judges.  And like my dad, who first requested a butterscotch pie for Father's Day, they like butterscotch pie.  They called it "Gorgeous!" They said the topping was "very tasty" (it was literally whipping cream, sugar, and a stabilizer to help it look pretty for a few days).  They said the custard was very unique (it is literally directly out of a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook from 1983).  But I guess when the cookbook says "All-Time Favorite Pies," it meant it.

I didn't enter the state fair this year, due a conflict with some travel, so I guess it is time to start thinking about next year.

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment