Sunday, March 22, 2015

Gypsy Tart



I recently ordered Tart It Up! by Eric Lanlard on Amazon.  The book has over 100 recipes for both sweet and savory pies.  The collection of recipes is unique and offers a lot of recipes not found in other cookbooks.  The majority of the recipes are complicated and require a shopping list, as opposed to "hey, I need to get some blueberries and a lemon."  The one thing I love about this book is that it includes a tip for most of the recipes for how to make the pie go from great to outstanding.  I intend to make a lot of these recipes once berries come in season.  Order your copy here, so you can make his baked raspberry and basil tart once raspberries aren't $4.99 for a little container.  These majority of these are pies to impress, and not weekly "oh hey, I felt like making a pie" pies.

From this cookbook, I made the Gypsy tart.  It was the only pie that did not require me to go out to the grocery store again after the mail came.  Other than the crust, the only other ingredients are evaporated milk and brown sugar.  After following the recipe and letting it chill for the two recommended hours, the pie did not set.  I think I over-whipped the filling, going the full fifteen minutes even though it came to the described consistency after about nine minutes.  I tried baking it for another 10 minutes.  Still no good, so I stuck it in the freezer.  After three and a half hours in the freezer, it still had not come together.  I was able to cut a piece, but the hole filled with liquid.



However, after sitting in the freezer for 24 hours, I was able to cut a slice that kept its shape.  I was nice as a cold pie.  Like eating caramel gelato in a pie crust.  So if you try this pie and it doesn't set, you don't have to throw it out.  You can freeze it and eat it that way.



I will try this pie again and trust my instinct on the filling:  when it thickens to almost soft peaks I will stop.


Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment