Saturday, September 19, 2015

Paprika Peach Pie

After the Peaches & Cream Pie fail, I decided I needed to continue trying instead of hanging up my apron.  Two pages earlier in the same cookbook was a Paprika Peach Pie.  In reading the recipe, it looked to be a novelty pie.  Like you would enjoy a piece of it, but wouldn't be all "that's an amazing peach pie."  So I decided to add a little sweet paprika to a regular peach pie recipe to add a little depth of flavor, but still keep the essence of a classic peach pie.


Ingredients:
5 peaches
1 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of King Arthur Flour's Signature Secrets
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons of sweet paprika

Directions:
Score an X at the bottom of the peaches.  Put them in boiling water for one minute.  Remove from boiling water and place them in ice water.  The skin should slide right off with the scraping of the back of a knife.
Cut the peach into eighths, remove the pit, and cut each eighth into three smaller pieces.
Place peaches into a medium saucepan and add the other ingredients.  The peaches will release their juices.  Once the juices come to a boil, allow it to simmer for two minutes.
Pour the filling into a pie crust, cover with another crust (I used cutouts, but you could also just cut vents).  Crimp the edges.  Do a milk wash and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake for 10 minutes at 425oF, then reduce the heat to 375oF and bake for another 35 minutes.


My plan worked.  It still tastes like a peach pie, but it does have a little something that makes you go "(h)mmmm."  I only used 2 tablespoons of Signature Secrets and the filling didn't entirely come together, so in the recipe I added one more and that should fix the problem.  I think if I play with this recipe a little bit more, I should be able to make it a winner (even if it is a guaranteed third place).

Piece out!
Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment