Saturday, September 19, 2015

Sour Cream Cranberry Pie

I have seen a lot recipes for Sour Cream Raisin pies.  I wanted to try a fall twist on this, and used dried cranberries instead of raisins.  I turned to the recipe in The Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book, since other recipes that I looked had twice the amount of sour cream.  While the filling was cooling, I panicked that it would not fully set, so I added a tablespoon of King Arthur Flour's Signature Secrets as insurance.


I also skipped the whipped topping, and used the two egg whites that are left over to make a meringue.  I added 1/4 cup of powdered sugar and a 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar and beat it into stiff stiff peaks, then spooned it over the filling and baked it at 325oF for 15 minutes.


This pie turned out fantastic.  It is very rich and is definitely an 8 slice pie, not a 6 slice pie.  It definitely captures the fall flavors I was trying to get.  I would definitely do more meringue if I had more egg whites laying around from another recipe, but a two-egg meringue works fine.

This would be a great pie for Thanksgiving, if you are looking to provide more options than pumpkin, apple, and pecan.

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment