Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Blue Hawaii Pie

I have wanted to make a pie like this since I saw A Few Good Pie Places last summer on PBS.  À la Mode Pies in Seattle makes a pie like this, but I needed to figure out how to make it my own.  The answer came when I bought Maury Rubin's Book of Tarts.  Here was the result, after many not-quite-right attempts.


Ingredients: 
1 cup of heavy cream
3/4 cup of sugar
2 pints of blueberries
4 oz. can of crushed pineapple
1 1/4 cup of shredded coconut
2 tablespoons of King Arthur Flour's Pie Filling Enhancer

Directions:
Combine the cream and sugar is a small sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.  Let the mixture cool a bit while you prepare the rest.  Combine the blueberries, crushed pineapple, and 1 cup of shredded coconut.  Stir in the Pie Filling Enhancer.  Pour in the cream mixture and stir.  Pour into a partially blind-baked pie crust and bake for 35 minutes at 375oF.  Allow to cool completely.  Because it has dairy, I also refrigerate it.

I really like this pie.  My mom really likes this pie.  People at my husband's work really like this pie.  And the judges at the Lake County Fair really like this pie: it was Grand Champion for pies this year.

Piece out!
Justin



No comments:

Post a Comment