Sunday, August 21, 2016

Illinois State Fair Results 2016

I entered three pies into the Open Culinary Department at the Illinois State Fair this year, as well as one entry in the Pumpkin Pie Special Contest.


My Taffy Apple Pie took first place in the Apple Class.


My Peach Paprika Pie took first place in the Peach Class.


My Triple Berry Pie did not place in the Berry Class.  The top three, including the champion of the Pie Division, were traditional blueberry pies.  I wish I could have made my Blue Hawaii Pie, but with the lack of refrigeration, I don't think it would last the 24 hours from the time I drop it off until it would be judged.


My Pumpkin Spice Latte Chiffon Pie also did not place in the Pumpkin Pie Contest.  The judge thought the espresso overpowered the pumpkin.  Also, after an almost 4 hour car ride, I do not think the chiffon was as nicely set up as it is when it is fresh out of the refrigerator.  The winners of this contest also had more traditional/vintage pies.  However, I take some consolation in the fact that the first place and third place winners from 2015 also did not place.

Now on to new ideas for next year...

Piece out!
Justin




No comments:

Post a Comment