Friday, December 29, 2017

Paradise, Hawaiian Style Pie

I have been looking for a variation of my Blue Hawaii Pie that I could compete with at the Illinois State Fair (which does not have refrigeration).  After seeing better pictures of the pie that first inspired my Blue Hawaii, I figured I would try something more like that one.  And as it was my second try at Hawaiian-flavored success, I decided to go with the name of Elvis' next Hawaiian movie.






Ingredients:
3 cups of blueberries
1 cup of crushed pineapple
1/2 cup of sugar
3 tablespoons of Instant Clearjel
1 cup of shredded coconut
3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cup of sugar
5 tablespoons of butter.

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, stir half the blueberries and the crushed pineapple together until most of the blueberries have burst and it starts to thicken.  Remove from heat
Stir together sugar and Instant Clearjel and add to blueberry and pineapple mixture.  Then toss in the remaining blueberries.
Combine coconut, flour, and sugar, then work in the butter with your fingers.
Spoon the blueberry filling into the crust, then spread the coconut streusel over the top. 
Bake for 30 minutes at 400oF, then rotate, reduce the heat to 350oF, and bake for another 25 minutes.  You may need to cover with foil toward the end to keep the topping from browning too much.

Piece out!
Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment