Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Illinois State Fair

I entered the Blackberry Mint Julep Pie in the Berry Pie Category at the Illinois State Fair.  It did not place in the top three.  I had some hesitation about the blackberry filling as I made it.  It seemed to overthicken, which would have made it chewy.  I think I added an extra tablespoon of Instant ClearJel.  But I am now thinking that it doesn't matter if you are using 18 ounces or 24 ounces of blackberries, you should still only use three tablespoons of Instant ClearJel and it should all be added at the beginning of the cooking process with the sugar (instead of adding it toward the end after the berries have released the majority of their juice).

On Friday, August 21st, I made the trip back down the Springfield with my Pumpkin S'mores Pie.  When I dropped the pie off for judging at 2pm, I also had the pleasure of meeting Linda Hoskins, the Executive Director of the American Pie Council.


Three hours and fifteen minutes later.  I was awarded Second Place in the Pumpkin Pie Contest by Miss Illinois County Fair, Sadie Gassmann.



I actually tied with the woman who won third place, but then after a tie-breaker judging I was awarded second place.



I am super proud of this accomplishment and could not be happier.

The recipe for the marshmallow meringue was slightly altered from previous versions of this pie.  I eliminated the sugar and whipped the marshmallow creme into the egg whites instead of folding it in later.

Here is the new recipe:
3 eggs whites
1/4 teaspoon of salt
7 oz of marshmallow creme.

Whip the egg whites and salt into soft peaks, then spoon in the marshmallow creme a spoonful at a time and continue to whip into stiff peaks.  Then spoon onto the pumpkin filling and toast with a kitchen torch.

Piece out!
Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment