Saturday, May 9, 2015

Apple Rose Pie


Three years ago, I bought my mom two rose bushes for Mother's Day.  I did a whole rose theme: roses on the giant gift bag, roses on the card and roses made out of apples on the pie.  I had seen a video someone posted on Facebook and figured I could do it.  And I did.  Since then, this has become my tradition for Mother's Day.

Early May is not the best time to work with apples.  So, only make this your Mother's Day tradition if you hate yourself and enjoy swearing in the kitchen.  You need to use a peeler to slice the apples, since an apple peeler doesn't slice them thinly enough to make them in to petals.  This would be three million times easier if you had fresh apples in the autumn, but in early May apples tend to be mealy and fall apart easily when you slice them so finely.

I set the "blooms" made from 3 to 4 red delicious apples into an easy yogurt custard.
3 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of plain yogurt
1/4 cup of flour
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

Then, I bake them at 400oF for 40 minutes.  I tried doing a layer of salted caramel under the custard last year, and it just turned into a soupy, gross mess that fell apart on the plate.  So now, I keep it simple.


This pie doesn't pull a lot of flavor from the apples, so almost all your flavor is going to come from the custard.  I really like how this custard recipe firms up and holds together, other smoother custards would most likely not hold the "blooms" once you slice it.



Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment