Sunday, May 3, 2015

Bananas Foster Praline Pie



My favorite praline from Aunt Sally's in New Orleans is the Bananas Foster Creamy Praline.  If you have never had one, they are freaking amazing.  I love anything with Bananas Foster.  I used to get it all the time at Culver's, before they discontinued it.  Then, when I was in New Orleans over the summer, if a restaurant had Bananas Foster anything on their menu, I ate it.  Originally, I considered a Bananas Foster Cream Pie; however, I came to my senses and made this pie instead.

So, the recipe:
2 sliced bananas
1 cup of toasted pecans
3 eggs
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of corn syrup
4 tablespoons of melted butter
3 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 teaspoons of cinnamon
3 tablespoons of dark rum
Toast your pecans and let them cool.  Melt your butter and let it cool slightly.  Beat the eggs.  Add the sugars, corn syrup, and melted butter.  Then add the cornstarch, cinnamon, and rum.  Chop your toasted pecans and fold them in to the filling.  Slice the bananas and lay in the bottom of an unbaked pie crust. Pour the filling over the bananas.  Bake for 10 minutes at 375oF, then reduce to 350oF for another 40 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.

The flavor of this pie is just what I hoped it would be.  The filling didn't come together as I had hoped, but probably would if I were to refrigerate it.  However, this did come out better than my regular pecan pies, which tend to be a little runny.  That being said, the texture was not unappealing and added a slightly creamy quality to the pie.  Definitely something I would make again, and definitely something that would be very good with vanilla ice cream.

Piece out!
Justin

2 comments:

  1. Loving your recipes and innovative fillings! I'm a cake decorator by trade but my husband loves pie-which I can't make to save my life-well I should clarify that I haven't gone back to crust since an embarrassing home economics disaster. But I digress, for his birthday I'd like to get back to it and make him a pie.

    I was wondering if you shared your crust recipe, perhaps I've missed it? If not I completely understand! As with cake, I'm always on the search for that 'perfect' recipe for everything lol but truly there isn't one recipe to please everyone, right?! It's usually a preference (what we ate as children, extended box mixes because that's what people are used to, etc.)

    I'm an avid scratch baker. I've heard people swear by lard or butter, or even a combination of the two, adding vodka or cold butter, using a processor or doing everything by hand. My husband is a fan of the Marie Colander Pies with the top crust and that wonderful non-melting sugar. Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated! And congratulations on your prize and placements in the fair! I'm also from IL, Central IL small-rural community (that's half the state I suppose lol)!

    Thanks,
    Sharon M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my crusts, my new favorite recipe is:
      2 1/2 cups of flour
      1 tablespoon of sugar
      1 teaspoon of salt
      2 sticks of butter

      I mix the dry ingredients, the cut cold butter into 1/2 inch cubes and blend them into the dry ingredients using the tips of my fingers in a "money" movement. I then let it sit out on the counter for 30 minutes before I roll it out. I then refrigerate or freeze the crust before it goes in the oven.

      I know this is a little unorthodox based on everything that you read in cookbooks, but it is what works for me.

      Delete