Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Peach Pie at Bonzfire Grill



I do not make peach pies.  I like to plan when I am going to make my pies.  You cannot plan to make a peach pie, you have to wait until the peaches are ready for you.  So, usually if I want to eat peach pie, I will go to Bakers Square and buy a peach pie.

This past weekend, I was in Southern Illinois visiting my mother-in-law.  We took her out to dinner at a new restaurant in Benton called Bonzfire Grill.  The food was awesome.  I probably had the best steak I have ever eaten at a restaurant.  But, of course, I saved room for pie.  Though they had several pies in the case, I went with the peach pie.

The peach pieces were nestled in a custard that gave the pie a "peaches and cream" feel. It was light and balanced.  It wasn't overly sweet, but it was fresh and clean. The crust was flaky, yet crunchy.  All in all, it was an amazing slice of pie.  It was definitely the highlight of my weekend.

Dare I say what I am about the say?  

It was better than the peach pie at Bakers Square.  Keep in mind that the peach pie at Bakers Square won Best Peach Pie in the Premium Commercial Category at the 2015 American Pie Council National Pie Championship.  So that says something about this pie.  

I cannot wait to go to Bonzfire Grill the next time I am in Southern Illinois, but I can definitely wait until I go to Southern Illinois again.  So until I find myself south of the giant cross in Effingham, I'll be going to Bakers Square.  But if you go to SIU or find yourself visiting the AATF National Office, make the drive to Benton for this pie.

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment