Sunday, May 31, 2015

Rhubarb Pie


Today, I made a rhubarb pie.  I don't think I made one last year.  I planted three rhubarb plants last year that are still languishing; so yesterday when I was up in Kenosha, I picked two pounds of rhubarb from my sister's garden.

I used the recipe that I used two years ago: adding 1 1/3 cups of sugar and 6 tablespoons of flour to the rhubarb.  This is a great recipe, if you want rhubarb soup in a crust.  There is not enough thickener to bring the filling together.  I think that 6 tablespoons of cornstarch would do the trick, or maybe 5 tablespoons of minute tapioca (if you don't mind the look of it in your pie)


However, as always, rhubarb pie is delicious.  I just fear that I am losing a lot of the flavor in the juice and that it could taste way better than it already does.  Oh well, there is always a next time.  And now I have a reminder that this pie needs more thickener than the recipe says, or I should just use the Rhubarb Pie recipe from the Four & Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book.

Piece out!
Justin


No comments:

Post a Comment