Sunday, May 17, 2015

Ginger Strawberry Pie



I made this pie to use up the strawberries I had bought for yesterday's Strawberry Balsamic Pie.  This recipe is very similar and the directions are practically identical.  The recipe actually calls for wild ginger.  I have no idea where to even look for wild ginger, so I used regular ginger.  Since you already have the box grater out for the apple, do yourself a favor.  I was three quarters of the way through mincing my ginger when I realized I could just be grating it.  I also think that grated ginger would blend a little bit better into the filling instead of having occasional mini-chunks of ginger in your bites of pie.

Again, this pie is messy.  Today, I was smart and put aluminum foil down on the baking sheet to avoid scrubbing the sticky mess off of the sheet afterward.


Yesterday, I made the analogy that the Strawberry Balsamic Pie was more a bassoon solo than a clarinet solo.  To continue my strawberry-pie-is-just-like-a-musical-instrument-solo series of analogies, this pie is like a cornet solo.  The flavor is just as bright as a clarinet, but a little bit brassier.  It's a fun pie, with an unexpected flavor.  I'm not sure which of the two pies I prefer.  They are both so good, and yet so different.   I think that this pie would be more of a general crowd-pleaser; however, the other would be more likely to impress your foodie friends.

Or just do what I did and buy four pounds of strawberries and make both.

Piece out!
Justin

No comments:

Post a Comment